The Gardens of the House 0f
Mohammed Ali Pasha
On the Panagia Peninsula, in the Old Town of Kavala, between cobbled streets and old traditional houses, stands the House of Mohamed Ali Pasha. The building is surrounded on the three sides by gardens that develop on several levels. The gardens protected the privacy of the mansion, which presents all the characteristics of an 18th century Ottoman residence.
Around 1929, when the Greek Community of Egypt and the Greek Government wanted to honor Mohamed Ali Pasha, the reformer of Egypt, a decision was made to erect a statue of the ruler at his hometown, Kavala. In the following years, the surrounding lands and properties were expropriated for the formation of the square that, to this day, would bear the name of Mohammed Ali. The mannequin of the Pasha on his horse, was crafted by the Greek sculptor Konstantinos Dimitriadis, while the works of shaping the surrounding area were under the supervision of the Royal Egyptian Palaces' architect, Ernesto Veruci Bey. In 1935, the square was completed, the statue was standing and the surroundings with the Mohammed Ali Square, had taken on their current structure. Stairs and multi-levelled steps were added, and gardens were formed.
In 2001, after years of neglect and ruin, the Greek company Imaret SA. undertook the rental and restoration of the two Egyptian monuments of Kavala, the Imaret and the House of Mohammed Ali, with the aim of achieving a modern use, consistent with their identity, cultural importance and history. The restoration was completed in 2005, according to the strictest international restoration standards. Today, the Imaret is a historic, boutique hotel, while the Mohammed Ali House operates as a museum and and the headquarters of the MOHA Research Center.
The mansion's gardens were also restored to reflect the charm of an authentic, enclosed Islamic garden. The variety of plants, the view of the city and its port and the sounds of birds nesting in the trees, compose a unique setting for the museum's visitors. Roses, oregano, lavender and flora rich in colour and fragrance is grown here, attracting hundreds of nomadic bees, dedicated to pollinating the plants, and keeping the gardens in full bloom.